Our Virtual Races allow athletes to run or walk anywhere in the world and still earn one of our finisher’s medals.
Net proceeds (after costs of bib, medal, shipping, administration) will be donated to several small local non-profits through our Starfish Support Foundation, including local running clubs to assist with their scholarship efforts.
The Virtual Runs provided funds for numerous non-profit groups including John Hopkins Magnet Enrichment Program, Tutterow Stars Dance Team, Largo High Girls Cross Country Team, USFSP Club TRiO S4, Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida, Calvary Chapel Running Team, U of South Florida All Stars, Operation SNIP, Black Girls Run, to name a few.
Our Virtual Runs have also helped raise money for:
- Support Our Marines, Inc. founded by one of our loyal athletes, Dianne Villano, to support troops in the most remote locations.
- Partners For Life Foundation, created by Lorraine Yaslowitz to support families who lose loved ones to senseless acts of violence in memory of her husband Jeff, a K9 police officer in St. Petersburg, FL lost in the line of duty in 2011.
Here is how our Virtual Runs work:
1) Athletes register for $25 for our 5K, $30 for our Halfathon, $40 for our Marathon and $45 for the 50K. International Athletes are charged an extra $5 to cover the cost of international shipping.
2) Athletes who register at least 3 weeks prior to race date will have their ultra-personalized official bib number sent out via regular mail before the race. Entrants who register later will not have a bib number sent via mail but will be able to download a generic bib from our website for home printing.
3) Athletes must complete a their virtual race during the 16-day period surrounding the live race. These time periods are extended for several reasons: 1) some of our virtual athletes live in areas where weather will create obstacles too severe to run safely; 2) athletes participating in other popular fall races can “double-dip” – earning extra bling for the same run; 3) this time-frame offers achievable goals for beginners – perhaps we can provide some added motivation.
4) For the purposes of the 5K Virtual Run, you MUST complete your mileage in one of the three weekends – you can run one 5K or split it up over the weekend.
5) For the purposes of the 50K, Marathon and Halfathon Virtual Run, you may complete your mileage in one run or you can split it up over the 16 days – your choice.
6) If the time spans seem too easy, please remember our goals are to promote a healthy, active lifestyle AND to raise money for local non-profits.
7) Please share your results, experience and photos at our Facebook Event page. Your results will NOT be recorded as official results, nor will you be eligible for age group awards or rankings. It is not necessary to send us emails to report results, but you are certainly welcome to share your comments on the Facebook page.
8) These virtual runs are staged completely on the honor system. By registering, we assume you will complete the mileage required. We will send you an official finisher medal from your event. These are gorgeous custom-made medals, along with custom ribbons.
9) If we have medals left over after distribution to finishers on-site at our races, we will be able to ship virtual run participants their medal within a week or so after the event.
10) However, if we run out of medals, we will need to order new ones and it will take 5-6 weeks, as they will be manufactured overseas to our specific order.
11) Medals will be sent to virtual runners in the order of registration.This means some of you may receive medals within 2 weeks of our race, while others may receive them in 5-6 weeks.
12) Virtual athletes who complete our entire halfathon series from October thru March will also earn the opportunity to earn a series completion medal for just $10 to cover the cost of medal production and shipping. This purchase option will be available during registration for our series’ finale: the Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K Race.
13) Regardless of how it all unfolds, we will send out emails right after the race advising our virtual athletes of when medals will be shipped.
Thank you for participating in our virtual run – it is very much appreciated by those non-profits we support.
– Craig Hablewitz, Virtual Runner who completed the 2015 Florida Beach Halfathon in Nepal